Microneedling Pre and Post care Tips:
Get the most out of your treatments with these easy tips!
To find out more about the benefits of microneedling, click HERE
Microneedling is an incredible treatment utilizing the ancient secrets of Acupuncture with the modern technology used by Dermatologists, which is why it is important to have education on microneedling pre and post care tips. I recommend having your course of treatment in conjunction with Facial Renewal Acupuncture (click HERE to read more) to lift and balance facial muscles and soften facial lines.
In order to get the best result from your microneedling treatments, it is important to follow these guidelines below:
Pre-Treatment tips include:
- Do not use topical agents that may increase your skin’s sensitivity such as retinoids, topical antibiotics or acids 5-7 days prior to your treatment.
- It is important to avoid scheduling your treatment during your period as this may make you more sensitive to the procedure.
- Do not take anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil etc) for at least 72 hours prior to your microneedling procedure. They will interfere with the natural inflammatory process which is needed for the skin renewal process
- Avoid IPL/Laser procedures, unprotected sun exposure, or sunburn for at least 2 weeks prior to your procedure.
- Wait 2 weeks after a botox, filler, or laser treatment.
- Avoid waxing, depilatory creams, or electrolysis to the area being treated 7 days prior.
- Do not shave the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation, and instead shave the day before if needed.
- If you’re prone to cold sores, take an antiviral agent for 2 days prior to and the day of the treatment.
- Avoid blood thinning agents for one week prior because bruising is a common side effect of microneedling.
- Avoid products that contain accutane six months prior to beginning your treatment sessions.
Day of treatment tips:
- exfoliate the skin in the morning to boost the efficacy of the numbing cream.
- arrive without any makeup on the face.
- let the practitioner know if you have had microblading.
- pre-book your next microneedling session (as this is a longer treatment, this will give you more flexibility – your practitioner will tell you whether they recommend 3 or up to 6 weeks between microneedling sessions).
Post-Treatment tips include:
- For the first 72 hours after treatment, you will want to calm your skin with a cosmeceutical calming cream (I recommend BABOR – click HERE to learn more).
- It is extremely important to keep the skin hydrated. Morning and evening you will want to use Hyaluronic Serum. You can also use hyaluronic face and eye pads. An absolute MUST after microneedling is to use collagen-stimulating peptides to maximize the effects.
- Do not exfoliate for the first 5 days after your treatment, as you want to allow the skin to heal itself. Then you can go back to your normal 2 times/week exfoliation routine.
- Avoid apply makeup for the first 48 hours after treatment (after 24 hours you can use mineral eye makeup). Use only clean brushes or fingers to apply makeup.
- Your practitioner will apply broad spectrum SPF after your treatment, and it is important that you continue to use a high quality chemical-free SPF 30 or higher and wear a hat when outside.
- Avoid using any active ingredient skincare such as Vitamin C serum, Vitamin A (retinol), Alpha/Beta Hydroxy Acids for 1 week after your treatment.
Other post-care tips:
- You will need to avoid swimming pools, saunas, hot yoga. Any activities that make you sweat profusely like intense workouts at the gym.
- Avoid any anti-inflammatory medications for one week after the procedure.
- Do not use ice, arnica or bromelain on your face. This may interfere with the natural inflammatory process that comes along with the treatment benefits.
- If any soreness does occur, you can use a muscle relaxant like Tylenol to help.
At AcuCare Acupuncture and Facial Renewal, education is paramount to any treatment we offer. If you have any questions about Microneedling, or about any of the tips we recommend, please don’t hesitate to contact us by clicking HERE. If you wish to book a Microneedling treatment, please click HERE.