Vitamins for Allergies
Click Here to see Julie’s interview with CBC on Allergies
In Chinese Medicine, we see patients with allergy concerns constantly. Acute allergies are mostly due to an invasion of wind, along with a root imbalance of Lung Qi deficiency. It is best to treat twice weekly during the acute stage, and then to come in for prevention of allergies the opposite season of when the invasion is at its worst. Acupuncture is proven to boost the immune system, and help with the histamine response. It is also very helpful to treatment to look at taking Vitamins and helping with food cures. Here are some suggestions below:
- Multivitamins and minerals daily
- Nutrients that give immune system an extra boost include:
- Vitamin A, C, E, B-complex, zinc, quercetin, pycnogenol, EFAs (essential fatty acids) and gamma linolenic acid
- Vitamin A – 10, 000 IU daily is a great immune supporter
- Vitamin C – 1000 mg daily detoxifies, stregthens the immune system, and reduces histamine levels in the blood
- Vitamin D – 600 IU daily
- Quercitin – 1000 mg daily
- EFAs, which include 1-2 tbsp of flaxseed oil (or see ‘magic seeds recipe‘), or fish oil daily
- COenzyme Q10 – 100 mg daily improves cellular oxygenation
- L-Tyrosine – 500 mg daily has an important function in protein synthesis
- 10)MSM – 1000 mg daily improves allergies, asthma, headache, and skin problems
*please be mindful of increasing the dosage of the vitamins slowly, and be careful of any counterindications with Rx you are on.
Foods for Allergies
- make sure the diet contains an adequate amount of Vitamin A and C. Vitamin A is essential for healthy mucus lining of the respiratory tract. Vitamin C is well recognized for its effect to prevent and treat infection.
- Reduce or eliminate intake of dairy products, as they increase mucus production
- Drink plenty of distilled water throughout the day to help drainage.
- Radishes are beneficial as they cool and moisten, and help itchy, watery eyes
*Thanks to the Acupuncture Desk Reference 2nd edition for information on this page